Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tawagoto...

There is an interesting word in Japanese.
"Mujyo", which means "impermanence" in English.

This is kind of old word that mostly can be seen in old Japanese lliteratures, but not in everyday conversation. In fact, I learned this word in class. I like the sound, letter, and meaning. I don't know why people don't use this such beautiful word any more. We have so much words from foreign language which simply pronounce its original with Japanese-accent, and at the same time, we are loosing so many incredible words of our own. I believe the beauty of Japan exists in our language, so this fact is making me so...I don't know what to say.

"Mujyo" is a word that expresses the beauty and melancholy of the natural cycle of the world. Japan has distinct four seasons and everything dramatically changes one season to another, that is, I assume, why this word was invented. Also it expresses the change of feelings as time passes. It expresses that there is nothing stays the same forever whether good or bad. Yes, "whether good or bad"...People tend to take a "change" as a bad sign, but Mujyo gives people the idea that change is a natural cycle of the world we live, so accept as it is rather than afraid or cry for it. Time is moving only one way and, indeed, we should respect that to focus on this moment you live.

There is, however, an interesting facct. "Mujyo" can also be translated as "heartless" by use of different character but the same sound. Isn't it ironic? "impermanebce"="heartless"? ...Japanese is so interesting, in other word, weird. Even though I have been learning and speaking for whole my life, still don't understand anything about it. Change is something you cannot avoid, so you had better admit and move on, but sometimes it is so hard that you cannot easily "move on". Time is so cruel.

1 Comments:

Blogger My Top Ten said...

While Japanese is an interesting language, being practically unrelated to any other major languages, and using complex writing system and honorifics, it is not unique in its complexity. There are words in Russian, for example, that are hard to translate or even explain in English. But I agree, Japanese words look cooler, at least on paper. Still, after gifuto shoppu, tasogare is my favourite Japanese words so far.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home